Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Rainy season has started

I haven't been birding much the last week, except for from my room. We've been having rain/showers. When I go birding I take a backpack of birding and photographic gear which doesn't mix well with rain.
I have been biking around town though, an average of 20 miles a day. I will atleast be in shape when I go birding.
Rain in south Florida is different than the northeast. It can be raining buckets on one side of the road and be dry across the street or the sun can be shining while it is raining. As I'm typing this it is raining hard but the sun is shining in the yard, the makings of rainbows. We also get waterspouts this time of year. We are in a bad drought here, around 13 inches below what it should be.

Update: At about 9:55am there was a waterspout spotted 5 miles E of Surfside, between Miami and Hollywood moving NW.

No comments: