Wednesday, May 13, 2009

My week at Cape May and WSB




It was a great week at Cape May. I was able to spend some time with the family, not as much as I would have like to. Sadly, I didn't go birding nearly as much as I wanted to. I did get to see lots of my birding friends from Cape May and around the country. I also meant some cool people from other areas of the country and one guy from the UK. He was on the team, 1000bird.com.
The The WSB was on May 9th from 00:00 to 23:59. WSB went great.
The weather held out, it only rained early morning and around 7pm, at least at the finish line at the West Cape May fire hall.
The cumulative species total was 269, that in 24 hour in NJ. there was about 77 competitive teams and about 15 non-competitive. the youth teams did really great!
The top youth teams:
Grades1-5 had 117 species.
Grades6-8 had 158 species.
Grades9-12 had 215 species.
I m hoping to get a team from south Florida to compete in the WSB next year. I think I would like to do Cape island which is south of the canal. The winning team for this category had a total of 151 species. A couple highlights of the WSB were Swallow-tailed and Mississippi kites. I didn't see the Swallow-tailed but did see the Mississippi, two in fact that flew over our heads nice and low.

No comments: